“Knowing that you have time off coming up can really be this interesting forcing function to get your standard operating procedures in order. And you talked about kind of feeling bad about, you know, having to prep your mom and create and make sure she knew the process. But in some ways like that, that is really a key strategy in growth. And scale is being able to have other people besides yourself, do all the core business to take care of all the core business functions.” - Arianna Taboada
The greatest asset to own is a business that is not dependent on its owner. This allows you to have complete control of your time so you can spend more time with what matters most.
We are joined today by Arianna Taboada the founder of The Expecting Entrepreneur, a consulting firm that helps entrepreneurs design parental leave plans that meet their business model and personal needs.
Learn practical tips on how you can create a system that would enable you to grow and scale your business all while still being able to take a time off for yourself.
Arianna speaks and writes about parental leave and respectful maternity care as an issue of social justice, human rights, and economic equity. Her work has been published in peer-reviewed journals such as the International Journal of Health Equity, Advances in Social Work, and Ethnicity & Health.
She is a co-author of Degrees of Difference: Reflections of Women of Color on Graduate School, published by The University of Illinois Press in 2020, and The Expecting Entrepreneur is her first solo-authored book.
Arianna lives, works, and plays with her family in the San Francisco Bay Area.
[00:01] Opening Segment
- A quick background about Arianna Taboada and her book Expecting Entrepreneur
[09:13] The Five Principles of Taking a Time Off
- Plan to experiment
- Plan the timeline (pregnancy-specific)
- Properly transition your business from taking a leave to coming back
- Prioritize your health
- Social Support - determining who the people in your network you can turn to for support
- Mental Contrasting technique and how it can help you address possible scenarios
[13:50] How to Create a System That Can Run Without You
- Have other people do all the core business
- Time Audit and track all the tasks
- Have clear documentation of the process in place
- Tips to free up additional time
- Simplify things
- Plan your day ahead and prioritize your tasks
- Use a project management tool
[23:50] Closing Segment
- Hotseat questions
- Check the links below for the resources mentioned!
“With entrepreneurs, is it like your work is never really done. You run your own business so I'm sure you can keep yourself busy, probably 24 hours a day if you really wanted to, but you have to set that endpoint in those boundaries really well. Having that prioritization is really important, as well, because otherwise you're just gonna keep doing work more and more work. ” - Arianna Taboada
Project Management Tools:
Podcast: How To Survive The End of The World
Connect with Arianna Taboada!
Don't forget to subscribe-rate-review. It's super easy and helps me to reach MORE creative entrepreneurs just like you!
- Connect with me on Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Instagram.
- Learn more about my story on my website.
- What's holding YOU back from $25k months in your online store? Take my FREE quiz and find out.
- Take my online courses and let’s grow your impact and income.
- Join our FREE Facebook group for eCommerce store owners.